In June, Waterkeeper Alliance celebrated its 10th Anniversary at SUNY Maritime College in New York City. The conference drew together Waterkeepers from nineteen countries to discuss grassroots water protection. The conference theme was climate change and green energy.
The highlight of the conference was a private keynote speech by former President of the United States Bill Clinton. He praised the Waterkeeper Alliance for its involvement with issues at a community level: “The thing I love about what you do is that you do,” Clinton said. “You don't just talk about it. Your mission is important."
Waterkeeper Alliance President Robert F. Kennedy Jr. warmed up the audience, urging Waterkeepers to continue the fight to enforce environmental laws: “The problem is, agencies become captive of industry. Laws don’t get enforced.”
President Clinton echoed Kennedy’s message. “If you have a law and you don’t enforce it, you don’t have a law.”
Other speakers at the annual conference included:
- Jon Carson, Chief of Staff, White House Council on Environmental Quality
- Bill Reinert, National Manager of the Advanced Technologies Group, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc.
- Dr. James Hansen, head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
- Richard Heinberg, Senior Fellow of the Post Carbon Institute
- British Explorer Robert Swan (OBE), the first person to walk to the North and South poles
- Majora Carter, President, Majora Carter Group, LLC, and MacArthur "genius" grant winner
- John H. Dunnigan, Assistant Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Living at the Barricades.
This week on Living at the Barricades, Krystyn and Mark look back at the Annual Conference, with stories from Waterkeepers all around the world. We also hear from Waterkeeper Alliance President Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., who spoke at the Swim Drink Fish Music Club party at ideaCity 2009, plus a live performance by Tony, Eric, and Darcy of Great Lake Swimmers.
Music on this week show:
If I was President - Wyclef Jean
What I mean - Shade
My Rocky Spine (live @ ideaCity09)- Tony Dekker, Eric Arnesen, and Darcy Yates (of the Great Lake Swimmers)