Star-studded charity gala returns to the CBC building as McKeil Marine becomes new presenting sponsor of the prestigious fundraiser for swimmable, drinkable, fishable water.
March 16, 2016 — Toronto, Ontario — Lake Ontario Waterkeeper
Waterkeeper Mark Mattson and gala co-chairs Blair McKeil (McKeil Marine), Kathy McKeil (McKeil Marine) and Susan Schaefer (Corus Entertainment) have announced that the 5th Annual Waterkeeper Gala Toronto will take place Thursday, April 21, 2016.
Past hosts and attendees include National Geographic explorer-in-residence Wade Davis, Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip, photographer Edward Burtynsky, environmental lawyer Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., writer Joseph Boyden, and entertainers Tanya Tagaq, Leslie Feist, Jim Cuddy, Sarah Harmer, and Scott Thompson. Past contributors to the art auction include notable artists such as Edward Burtynsky and Peter Doig.
The Waterkeeper Gala sees business leaders, philanthropists, artists and the water community come together for an inspiring evening to celebrate one of our most valuable resources -- Canada’s waterways. The event is the most influential fundraising gala for a water charity in the country.
100% of the event proceeds support Waterkeeper’s work to ensure Canada’s waterways are swimmable, drinkable, and fishable so communities can prosper. This year’s event returns to the Canadian Broadcasting Centre (CBC) at 250 Front Street West in Toronto.
“This is the biggest night of the year for water in Toronto,” says Waterkeeper Mark Mattson. “Leaders from different backgrounds support the Waterkeeper cause, because they know that swimmable, drinkable, fishable water is an essential part of Canadian life.”
“We are thrilled that McKeil Marine will be the new presenting sponsor for the 2016 Waterkeeper Gala Toronto. The dedicated team at LOW makes being part of this event a sponsor’s dream. The Gala is a first class event and we are proud to be a part of it." -- Blair McKeil, Chairman and CEO, McKeil Marine
- Tickets are $500 and available online: www.waterkeepergala.ca
- Sponsorships start at $7,500. Details online: www.waterkeepergala.ca/sponsorship
- The Waterkeeper Gala Toronto has raised $1.8-million since 2012.
- The Waterkeeper Gala Art Preview Event is March 22, 2016 from 6-8pm at CONTACT Gallery: http://www.waterkeepergala.ca/artpreview2016
- Art auction items can be viewed online: www.waterkeepergala.ca/art/
- More presenters and special guests will be announced soon.
- Proceeds from the gala support Swim Guide (the world’s most popular beach information app), the Watermark Project (a digital archive and storytelling initiative that chronicles Canadians’ relationship with water), the National Water Centre (the country’s first facility dedicated to supporting water and Canadian culture), and local watershed protection activities.
- 20% of the world’s freshwater is in Canada.
- With 46 kilometres of waterfront, 5 rivers, and 15 creeks, Toronto is the freshwater capital.
- An estimated 3.5-million people in Canada and the USA become ill after being exposed to pollution in the water each year.
- There are 1,012 monitored beaches on the Great Lakes. Lake Erie, followed by Lake Ontario are most affected by water quality problems and swimming advisories.
- Up to 70% of coastal wetlands on Lake Ontario have been filled in, eliminating habitat throughout the watershed.
- The Great Lakes fishery continues to decline, with harvests expected to drop by 25% over the next 25 years.
- There are more than 1,000 drinking water advisories in Canada on any given day.
Social Media Summary
The Waterkeeper Gala Toronto returns to the Canadian Broadcasting Centre (CBC) on Thursday, April 21, 2016. The evening includes a fine art auction featuring work by Edward Burtynsky, Joanne Tod, and Wanda Koop. The Waterkeeper Gala is the biggest night of the year for water in Toronto, raising $1.8-million since 2012. All proceeds support swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Tickets are on sale now at www.waterkeepergala.ca/buy-tickets/
- Joseph Boyden, Tanya Tagaq, Gord Downie, Denise Donlon, and Kate Alexander Daniels at the 2015 Waterkeeper Gala: http://bit.ly/WaterkeeperGala2015Guests
- Blair McKeil, Kathy McKeil, Tanya Tagaq and Mark Mattson at the 2015 Waterkeeper Gala: http://bit.ly/McKeilsMarkTanya2015Gala
- Photographer Edward Burtynsky (left) and Waterkeeper Mark Mattson at the 2013 Waterkeeper Gala: http://bit.ly/EdMark2013Gala
- Waterkeeper Gala Toronto Logo: http://bit.ly/GalaTorontoLogo
- Waterkeeper Gala Toronto: www.waterkeepergala.ca
- 2015 Gala Photos: http://bit.ly/2015WaterkeeperGala
- 2014 Gala Photos: http://bit.ly/2014GalaPhotos
- 2013 Gala Photos: http://bit.ly/2013WaterkeeperGala
- Lake Ontario Waterkeeper: www.waterkeeper.ca
- Swim Guide: www.theswimguide.org
- National Water Centre: www.swimdrinkfish.ca
- Watermark Project: https://www.watermarkproject.ca/
- Hashtag for Twitter & Instagram: #waterkeepergala
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram: @LOWaterkeeper
Founded in 2001, Waterkeeper is a registered Canadian charity that uses law, science, culture, and digital media to protect a swimmable, drinkable, fishable future.
For more information or to request a media pass to the gala, please contact: