The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission recently released its Environmental Risk Assessments (ERA) for the Pickering Waste Management Facility.
While the ERA does address certain issues Waterkeeper has brought up in recent submissions, there are still several information gaps.
Issues still needing to be addressed include:
- Effluent sampling data for all identified contaminants at the PWMF;
- Any assessment of how liquid waste treatment will be impacted by a new processing building that will double processing capacity;
- Information about stormwater monitoring (including types of monitoring and how the physical stormwater infrastructure will be impacted by the proposed new building at the PWMF);
- Information about stormwater runoff into the eastern wetlands and whether they will be monitored for water quality;
- Stormwater sampling data from PWMF catch basins and known runoff or outfall areas; and
- Groundwater sampling data from the six PWMF groundwater monitoring wells.
See below for Waterkeeper's full comment on the ERA. Click here to see the Environmental Risk Assessment in full.